HP Nerd Spill
November 9, 2010 § Leave a comment
No, not Hp tech. he other HP. Harry Potter! 13 years ago, almost 14 now really, Harry Potter was introduced to this world in the Book Harry potter and the Philosophers Stone. I was 7 years old. when I was 11 the first movie came out and I was soo thrilled to be the same age as the actors there. As the years went by I was always either the same ago as the characters in the movies, or in the books, finally being 17 when the 7th book was released. I remember that night crystal clear. Calgary has a street downtown called Stephen Avenue and is Calgarys only pedestrian street. In celebration of the 7th book release a small festival was put on, expecting a nice 500 people to show up. Lo and behold over 5000 sweep the streets dressed as wizards and witches with the exception of a storm trooper or two. Honeydukes carts were milling about the banks were relabeled as gringotts, art gallery turned into a transfiguration lesson and so on. Then i went over to Chapters to get my copy of the book, signing a thank you card to JK Rowling. I read that book in one night. SO Good.
So I’m twenty and maybe an obsessive fan, I won’t go screaming at the HP actors or stalk JK Rowling or anything. But forever now the Harry Potter books are my comfort books and I wouldn’t even mind a trip to that theme park if I ever have money.
The excitement and harry potterness has really been mounting for the release of the first part of the 7th movie and, running programs in residence here in Victoria has made me also start planning to create a UVic quidditch team to join the intercollegiate league.
I thought I’d make up a post consisting of links of videos, songs, sites and other HP fandom more of a reference to myself, but it may be handy and fun for a few select others as well.
1. Grooveshark.com – you can find the majority of the Harry Potter Ebooks read by Stephen Fry online here.
2. www.alivans.com – Better quality and relatively cheaper than Warner Bros goods. Awesome brooms, wands, and costumes.
3. http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/ / http://www.mugglenet.com/ – the biggest Harry Potter Fansites, with the latest articles, videos, interviews, you name it. JK Rowling personally met with the makers of these sites to answer HP questions as these makers were clearly the biggest fans.
4. http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/ best site I think for the theme park. Virtual tours and videos. Really fun site to play around if, like me you can’t afford the real deal.
5. http://www.teamstarkid.com/projects/a-very-potter-musical/ Starkid Productions put on a play of Harry Potter throughout the years including a sequel. Available only through youtube and super well-done. PG13/14 however from plenty of curse words. (the muggle kind, not the avada Kedavra or anything) also stars Darren Criss, now appearing on Glee.
6. http://harryandthepotters.com/ / http://www.evilwizardrock.com/index.html – 2 awesome bands, harry and the potters and draco and the malfoys for some Hogwarts rock. Similar to how i’d imagine the Weird sisters to be. speaking of which: http://www.myspace.com/theweirdsisters
7. http://www.potterpuppetpals.com/ the well known Harry Potter Puppet Pals. When asked if he’d ever participate in any post-movies fan stuff, Daniel Radcliffe talked of how he’d love to be on Harry potter Puppet Pals. (http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/530045/would-daniel-radcliffe-ever-play-harry-potter-in-any-other-form.jhtml#id=1641972)
8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv80DLlUwNQ Pogo makes remixes of different movies including Alice in wonderland and Mary Poppins. This is a remix of the first two movies into a kind of mellow electronica.
9. http://www.internationalquidditch.org/ of course! The biggest Muggle quidditch league ever. about 400 schools world wide compete each year. This site gives advice on starting, rulebook, and hooks you up with the annual Quidditch World Cup. (my current endeavor)
10. http://www.jkrowling.com/ JK Rowling’s personal website complete with her notes answers to looming rumours, mysteries in the books, thoughts and bio. She even added a few easter eggs in the site to find some of her old scribbles.
11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A26jG-1VgI A year in the life of JK Rowling. film by James Runcie. Really gets you to understand how and why she wrote the series.
There are a ton of spoofs and parodies up on Youtube I both like and dislike as well, but i think I’m happy with that list of 11 top must sees for Harry Potter fans.
10 days till the 7th Movie part 1!!!!!!!!